Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Rock and A Hard Place

  So, I really love the fact that I moved to Hollywood to go to Musicians Institute. I swear there is no sarcasm there. I really am learning a lot of interesting things about music composition, as well as music business and everything else. My "Groove" teacher even has us read articles on what happens in the brain while music is being played and listened to. For those interested, check out sad brain, happy brain in newsweek. You can basically just google it and the link will pop up. Pretty interesting shit. We've even looked at results of an MRI of a person playing guitar during the procedure. Rather awesome. Matter of fact....here..www.newsweek.com/2008/09/12/sad-brain-happy-brain.html..that's the link....Anyways...
  One thing that I'm really focusing on here at school is scoring for film and TV, and video games as well. One of the electives I've taken is a scoring class, and my private lesson instructor does scores for film as his main profession. The private lessons are actually like a part time job for him. An interesting thing I've learned, among the hundreds, is motion of melody. This may take some explanation, so bear with me. Basically, when it comes to soundtracks and scores of compositions, melody is king. The main melody for "Indiana Jones", for example, is an infamous melody. By the sound of that melody, you know you're in store for a heroic episode of ridiculous situations, survived by the virtually invincible Indiana Jones, who just so happens to be an intelligent college professor, and who's only fear is of snakes, blah blah blah. My point is, that the sound of that melody immediately tells you what's going to happen. The main theme, the "promise" of what's to come.
  The reasons this melody has such a heroic tune revolve all around the motion of the melody. First off, it's pretty much all major chords and progressions. Even deeper into that, however, is the fact that the melody is always moving in an upward motion. Sing it to yourself right now....the notes progressively raise in pitch as the melody goes on. Major chords and upward motion immediately signify heroism and positivity. Pretty cool stuff. When writing a melody, it's important to know what message you're trying to deliver.
  Works basically the same way with sad stories, except the opposite. Sad melodies are mainly composed of minor chord progressions, and downward movement of melody. Take "The Godfather" love song, the famous song. Sing that melody to yourself....it moves downward on all of the strong beats.  Minor chords and downward moving melodies immediately signal sadness and drama. Test it out the next time you watch a movie, and are listening to the main theme or just some music happening in the movie. If you don't know the difference between major and minor chords, you will after listening to certain songs. Happy songs are generally major, and sad minor. If you're really interested in a deeper explanation of this, hit me up. I'll explain what "strong beats" are, and further explain melody motion.
  I also am trying to get deeper into songwriting, which is where my rock and hard place have been established. See, you can't just be limited to one genre of music if you are to be considered a song writer. Even when I was doing only hip-hop, I noticed that quite a few of my instrumentals really weren't used as often as I would have liked them to be. Don't get it twisted, fam, I'm not hatin on anyone for that. If you know me then you know that already. I think now I understand why. It's just a different type of instrumental making, and I wasn't going about it the right way. I'm learning the right way now, and taking what I already have learned with me the whole way. I had a hard time sampling and chopping stuff, honestly because I feel that I would just lose my patience with it, and eventually just start to work on something totally original. Plus, my camp already had so many dope ass producers, it was kinda unnecessary  for me to be doing it. Aurc and Tab are two of the sickest producers I know. Not to mention Dee Ess, M-phasis, Dynomite, Anitek...you see my point yet? The fact of the matter is, I was trying too hard to compete with dudes that are just out of my league, and in turn writing songs that weren't considered hip hop, or even MC friendly. Which brings me to my next point.
  Songs made for lyrics, when it comes to hip hop, pop and R&B, realistically, only consist of two, maybe three chords. But really only two, sometimes only one. When it comes to sampling and chopping stuff, it's basically the same loop carried by a bass line. But after analyzing the songs, it's basically one chord. Which is fine as far as hip hop goes, and which is what I didn't get. Pop songs are really only two chords battling another two chords when it comes to the bridge and the hook, basically. They're usually a very simple chord progression, and depending on the mood of the song, will be major or minor chords. Same goes with R&B for the most part. Next time you're listening to a song, really sit there and LISTEN to the music, and freeze it in your mind. You'll notice that it's basically the same couple of chords being bounced back and forth. Techno, or the new "Dub Step" (youtube "UFK Dub step") that's around, is one chord, with a deep and filthy bass. Hence, my rock...the melody is very important to these songs, but those basic chord progressions kick my ass for some reason. I just don't know what sounds good because I'm really not that into the music...which leads to the hard place.
  My hard place (stop it) comes from the fact that I need to study this stuff in order to get it. The hip hop stuff I get, and I just need to practice it more. I still prefer to do original stuff, but I just have to realize that I'm making it way too complicated. Pop music and techno music, I really need to study...and this is my hard place...because man, this music is NOT my bag, baby. My God, this shit is hard to listen to. I can only do it in small doses, before running to my Ipod to listen to BackPack, or Rakim or something like that. Remarkable Mayor is a live saver, for real. I mean, it's only my opinion, but this is also my blog...this music sucks yo.
   There's no creativity. There's no heart and soul. You can't really even say "well at least she can sing" because of auto tune. They should just call the radio "digital anesthetic", because that's what it is. From a musician's standpoint, this shit is boring to me. It's the same few power chords over and over again, with some chic or dude singin about some shit that people only care about on Friday nights. But, this is what sells (refer to my first blog for that argument).And it kills me that I have such a hard time writing these songs.
  Engineering is engineering, and I know that shit is tedious and aggravating at times. I would never take anything away from the people behind the scenes, or really even the "artist" for that matter. I know a lot of hard work goes into touring and stuff like that, but dude...seriously...how long did it take to write some of these songs?  I recently discovered that I now know how to make the EXACT instrumentals for Usher's "Fallin in love in this club" and Rihanna's "Umbrella" songs. THE EXACT INSTRUMENTAL...took me all of five minutes. No shit. Those songs, among many others I'm sure, were made from previously programmed loops in digital software. All they did was grab and drag, and boom....platinum record. Meanwhile, I'm spending $500 per credit to learn exactly how they did this....unreal.
  Either way, I'm going to keep pressin, and keep makin original shit. Bottom line, eventually those sample libraries that come stocked with fat loops for people to use without risking copyright infringement will run dry...but my brain will always be able to create a new, original sound from a synthesizer to play a new, original melody. And that shit is mine, not a computer programs. At least if you're sampling Marvin Gaye or some other artist, there's credit to be given to the composer of the song. A sample that you have to dig for and pay for is WAY more appreciated and valued than some software sample, that all you had to do was drag into your arrangement window. I mean damn...at least chop it up a little bit. Change the tempo....something. Be creative, man.
   Maybe I'm being too hard on the situation. Maybe I'm being unrealistic...whatever the case, allow me to close with this thought...
   Regardless of what type of producer you are, whether it's hip hop, pop, rock, R&B, or a composer for films and movies, never take an easy way out past being creative. Put the work in, fam. If you're sampling other people's music, chop and screw it, change it up somehow. Shit, you could even just add a new instrument. Do something creative. Be your music.
  Until next time, I leave you with this...Life is like a game of poker. If you don't put anything into the pot, there won't be anything for you to take out....Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment