Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mainstream Vs. The Underground

  Well, I suppose it's only appropriate for my first blog to be about the Mainstream side and the Underground side of this whole music business. I had actually only intended on starting a blog just so I could follow my girlfriend's, but today I was a part of a conversation that certainly motivated me to start "blogging" about certain things..so here I am.
  Let me begin by saying that my roots in this music game are in Underground hip-hop. There's nothing more refreshing to me than a group of MC's in timbo's and hoodies freestylin in the alley behind some hole in the wall bar they just performed at, while sippin on cheap beer, whiskey, and blunts.
  When I was about 12 years old, I used to sit down at the piano and play what my mother called my "little mixes"...which I later learned were actually eight bar loops and four bar hooks, missing only a drum kit and lyrics. While in the Navy, I began writing poetry, and putting those lyrics to my little mixes, thus forming songs. Mind you, almost EVERYBODY knows how to rap in the military. So, freestylin was something that I eventually picked up. Came back to Jersey eventually, met up with some really cool cats, and started makin actual instrumentals and writing actual songs. My hip-hop life was born.
   Fastforward five or six years....we're doin shows in Manhattan and New Jersey now. Did enough shows to have been booed off stage, to do shows where people didn't even like hip-hop, as well as benefit shows and even shows where people came up to us askin all types of "I'm a fan" questions. Really cool. Big shout out to A.L.F, The BackPack Superheros, and it's affiliates. Honestly too many to list right now, that's for another blog. All in all, we produced an album, officially (probably three or four unofficially), got a pretty decent rep, and met a whole lot of awesome people along the way. Cats I'll never forget, and hopefully never have the chance of even doing so. Even turned a metal head bar into a pretty dope hip-hop spot. Pioneer type shit.
  Unfortunately, that little bit of street cred, or whatever you would like to call it that we did muster up, just doesn't pay the bills, homey. Now, I know that some people actually WANT to be starving artists...I get that. I know all about the "doing it for the love of hip-hop", and all that jazz. Believe me, I know whole heartedly that hip-hop is a way of life and a culture. So, if you're satisfied doing what you love, for peanuts, and working a mediocre job where the best promotion you'll get is still something that makes you hate waking up in the morning, then by all means, do you. And I mean that. If that life style is something that you are comfortable with, then go 'head and be that. There's nothing wrong with that at all, and anyone who judges people on that is an ignorant fool. But all this talk about how "they wanna own my music", or "take away my creative right"...man that's all nonsense.
  If you really want to do this music thing as a CAREER, for the rest of your life, then you MUST make some sacrifices. A career, by my definition, is something that supports your life financially, without doubt or worry (of course taking away the situation our economy and job market are in right now. Let's not mince words people). Sellin CD's out your trunk only helps you to afford your liquor store and weed bill, let's be real. If you are fortunate enough to create such a buzz that an Underground label wants to sign you, God bless you. You're one of the lucky one's that actually made it. However, if what's stoppin you from poppin off is a fear of being exploited, homey...look around you.
  These bars and clubs that you perform at are exploiting you. The people that jump on your coat tails and ride them into the next venue are exploiting you. The lil groupies that ride shotty with you to your boys house for the after party are exploiting you. No matter what you do, if your music is good, it will be exploited. Only difference here is that you aren't making any real money while it's happening.
  I'm out here in Hollywood now, going to school and learning a lot of new things about this business. One constant thing about it? IT'S FUCKED UP. Bottom line. No matter what you do are where you go, someone is going to be looking to get something from you. Whether it's a feature on an album, five minutes at the next set, or even just a beat..they want something. Otherwise, why are you doing it?
  Why do you spend hours on end diggin through crates, or writin that perfect rhyme, or promoting yourself? I know how much fun it all is, but is that really your only reason for doing it? Because it's fun? Dawg, go to Great Adventure. A lot less expensive and time consuming. Plus, they don't lie. You know they want your money, and you happily give it to them.
  I've realized now that the best way to go about this whole thing is actually very simple. Use the biggest networking resource there is..and that's the mainstream. I'm not sayin you have to sell your soul. Don't confuse my usage of "mainstream" with this nonsense that's goin on with the radio and music that's being put out there right now. Whether or not you realize this, the underground has a mainstream as well. No matter what, you're going to be exploited. Why not do a little exploitation of your own? Seriously.
  Get linked up with some label that isn't too demanding of your time, meaning albums and creative right. You'll be surprised how many labels out there really do appreciate the artist for what it's worth. Pay your dues, save up dough, and then ultimately start your OWN label. If you wanna make money, you have to make somebody else more money. It's the way the world works. Face it. Embrace it even.
  Not too many of our favorite MC's just got signed out of nowhere to million dollar deals. Some of those dudes even stayed "underground"...but they're signed to major labels. Played on all of our favorite hip-hop and R&B stations. Doin the commercials and the features on pop records with Christina Aguilera and Brittney Spears. Come on man...
  My point is this...if you're satisfied with doing this music as a hobby, and working your normal 9-5 job, then please keep bangin. Honestly that's the only music I listen to, for the most part. BUT, if you truly desire to be a "professional" at this, and get your shit out there, then you have to be willing to make someone else some money for a few years. There's no way around it. Some cats create a pretty dope buzz for themselves, getting their songs in independent films, and doing one or two tracks with some famous underground cats. But there's a glass ceiling above you my friend. You don't need to sell yourself out...just your album.
  Until next time, I leave you with this....If you find yourself in a fair fight, then your tactics suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment